The CURVO Concept
CURVO Ropeway is an answer to alternative Urban Commutation System. It is adaptable and amendable to bends, being able to follow existing road routes, travelling overhead without consuming or interfering with road space below and the vehicular traffic that plies through it.
The CURVO Ropeway is operable over congested serpentine metro roads. Its enormous potential for congested cities of the world as a safe, environment friendly, comfortable, accident free, economic mode of transport is soliciting to be utilized for providing a 2nd Tier mass transportation facility to the populance.
Thus for the first time a conceptual solution to radically overhaul the city transport sector is in the offering.
The ill effects of modern day vehicular transport have inspired Mr.Shekhar Chakravarty to visualize the need of Aerial Ropeway as a part of city commutation. Invention in the technology was required as ropeways could only travel in a linear path-a limitation for its introduction over aertial serpentine routes. Years of relentless design and engineering proved to be successful and the prototype was developed by the company to demonstrate the achievement. It is a path breaking invention by the company & is termed as the CURVO Ropeway, an innovating concept for the first time in the history of Aerial Ropeway, permitting the system to be considered as an alternative mode of Urban Commutation because of the fact, that the pioneering technology assumes an improvisation, whereby the overhead Ropeway, for once, can be made to follow a non-linear route along the urban roads. The non-linear feature of Detachable Grip Ropeway has been patented worldwide by Sri Shekhar Chakravarty, the inventor of the technology from his 55 years of experience in the Ropeway field.
SALIENT FEATURES OF CURVO
- CURVO Ropeway concept is a unique non linear concept permitting Ropeway, for the first time in the world, to be amenable and adaptable to bends and curves of city roads.
- It will be an elevated and aerial mode of urban transport.
- It will run along existing arterial and other roads on steel portal frames spaced at 90-100 mtrs. supporting the ropes.
- It will need nominal ground space for stations and rope supporting portal frames.
- It will have no interference with road spaces and vehicular traffic below, or with pedestrian flow.
- Running on electricity CURVO eliminates polluting effect of poisonous and green house gases as systematically spewed by vehicular transport. By the same token CURVO being reasonably noiseless, wages no decibel war.
- Statistics indicate following average vehicular speed in various Metros in India to be between 7 – 10 km/hr.
- It can be made to travel at an average speed of 12.5km./hr, irrespective of route alignment, thereby cutting down on commuting time, considerably.
- Cabins aesthetically designed and spaced at 22-25 seconds interval, cruise by overheard, a pleasing sight to the beholding public at large in comparison to vehicular congestion below.
- Cabins would have a capacity of 8-10 seats. Since, under no circumstances, as opposed to vehicular or metro rail travels, no standing or overloading can be allowed on the ropeways, the quality of ride will be extremely comfortable for the commuters.
- It will, on any designated route, provide boarding / deboarding facility at every 750 mtrs. or so, making it convenient for commuters to approach their intermediate destinations. The stations will be provided with elevator service to assist passengers reach level of the station.
- The carrying capacity can be so designed and augmented as to ferry 2000-2500 passenger per hour (pph) in each direction on a single track. A study on Kolkata city revealed possible overhead CURVO capacity of more than 200,000 commuters per hour, through multitude routes, which could be equivalent to 3000 bus load of passengers per hour. 3000 buses would, as a ball park estimate, consume around 5000 liters of gasoline per hour!!
- In the system, once a cabin reaches a station, doors open automatically and facilitate boarding / deboarding at very low speed.
- Estimated power consumption for running an equivalent CURVO system for one hour would be approximately at around 12 MW only.
- Benchmarking and factoring in preceding features, one can well imagine as to how the exchequer can be benefited through the introduction of this system in city routes.
- Terminal stations will be equipped with a Drive or Tensioning Device. Operation control will be from Drive Station. Sections will be interlocked for simultaneous operations.
- The entire system will be under constant CCTV surveillance.
- Risk of accidents is successfully eliminated by preempting the vehicular accident factors, viz.;
- Fault of vehicle driver
- Fault of pedestrians
- Factors relating to rash driving
- Poor condition of surface road conditions etc.
- Risk of accidents is successfully eliminated by preempting the vehicular accident factors.
- No Dislocation of Traffic
Construction of the system to take place only during night hours between 10.00 p.m. to 06.00 a.m. Normal traffic on the concerned route will not be disturbed.
- Underground Utilities
While carrying out construction of Metro and Flyover foundations / structures, it causes acute disturbance to underground utilities. But, foundations of CURVO system being comparatively of much lighter and being located on kerbs, placed at sizeable intervals, disturbance of utilities under CURVO footings will be of miniscule nature.
- Roads with hardly any scope to widen, in most urban cities, develop congestions and commuters lose a lot of time and energy in getting to their destination. CURVO can facilitate time management.
- Installations & Maintenance of CURVO system is relatively convenient and expeditious.
- With the flexibility that CURVO offers, depending on density of commuter population and decision of the city authority, multiple routes along all city roads could be planned. It can also construct for travel over the canaline routes in and around the city.
- A possible overhead CURVO capacity in a Metro city would be around 2 lakh commuters per hour,through multiple routes,which could be equivalent to 3000 bus load of passengers per hour, consuming 5000 litres of gasoline per hour! While CURVO system would consume approximately 12 MW power only.